Gossip: Chelsea eye left-back trio; Everton return for ex-England ace?

Date published: Wednesday 29th December 2021 6:24 - News Desk

Sergino Dest, Lucas Digne and Nico Tagliafico have all been linked with Chelsea.

Chelsea are looking at left-backs from Everton, Ajax and Barcelona to replace the injured Ben Chilwell, while Everton could bring Ross Barkley back to Goodison…

 

CHELSEA LINKED WITH TRIO TO REPLACE CHILWELL
With the January window mere days from opening, Chelsea are re-thinking their approach in the wake of Ben Chilwell’s injury.

The England left-back looks set to miss the rest of the season and his knee injury could keep him on the sidelines into next term too.

So Thomas Tuchel is reportedly considering whether to replace Chilwell by adding a new full-back to his squad.

Fabrizio Romano says Chelsea’s first call will be to Everton to enquire about Lucas Digne, who has fallen out of favour with Rafael Benitez.

Sergino Dest is also an option, with the Barcelona defender said to be among the players up for sale while the Catalans look to raise funds, though Bayern Munich have been linked with the USA star.

The Daily Mail also hints at Chelsea’s interest in Nico Tagliafico, with Ajax said to be willing to listen to offers for the 29-year-old who has previously been linked with Arsenal and Manchester City.

 


Leicester defy the odds, ride their luck, take their chance


 

EVERTON BID TO BORROW BARKLEY
Chelsea could get themselves a discount on either Digne or Dest with Barca and Everton said to be keen on some of Tuchel’s players…

Barca are interested in bringing Cesar Azpilicueta and Andreas Christensen to the Nou Camp, with Gerard Moreno reporting that an agreement in principle has been reached between Azpilicueta and the Catalans. Though Barca could just wait until next summer to sign the pair for free, rather than commit to a nominal amount next month.

Everton might offer Chelsea a deal involving Ross Barkley, with the former England midfielder reported by the Telegraph to be a loan target for the Toffees. Barkley moved to Chelsea from Everton for £15million in 2018 but has struggled to nail down a regular place at Stamford Bridge.

 

RAPHINHA WON’T FORCE LEEDS EXIT
Chelsea have been credited in recent days with an interest in Raphinha. They aren’t the only ones…

Liverpool’s interest in the Leeds winger is long-standing, while Bayern Munich are also keen on the Brazilian.

But the Mirror reports that while Raphinha will eventually move on, the 25-year-old is reluctant to spoil his relationship with the Leeds fans by agitating for a transfer.

 

TOON LINKED WITH BARCA, BRAZIL STARS
With the postponement of their final game of 2021, Newcastle, in theory, could have some new faces through the door by the time they next take to the field.

Marca reckons the Magpies are sniffing around Samuel Umtiti while the Barcelona defender sits tight on his fat contract at the Nou Camp despite the club’s best effort to move him out.

The Mirror says Newcastle are also keen on Brazil striker Gabriel Barbosa but the 25-year-old would rather remain with Flamengo.

More Related Articles