Transfer gossip: Man Utd turn to £50m-rated France star as Antony alternative

Date published: Friday 29th July 2022 3:22 - News Desk

Bayer Leverkusen winger Moussa Diaby in discussion with a referee.

Manchester United are ready to move for a winger deemed too expensive by Newcastle, while City have a couple of alternative left-backs in mind…

 

MAN UTD EYE TOON TARGET IF AJAX KEEP ANTONY
Manchester United’s pursuit of Frenkie De Jong attained saga status weeks, maybe months ago and their interest in Antony is verging on crossing that line too.

In fairness to United, as with De Jong, they are dealing with many moving goalposts around the Brazilian. Ajax have recently bumped the price up, making United’s latest offer of ‘over £50million’ around £15million short of the mark.

So United are having to consider alternative targets and Fichajes says Erik ten Hag has approved a move for Bayer Leverkusen forward Moussa Diaby.

Newcastle have been keen on Diaby this summer but the Magpies opted to walk away in recent weeks due to Leverkusen’s valuation of more than £50million. With three years remaining on the 23-year-old’s contract, the Germans are under no pressure to sell and United would have to open with a similar offer to that they have just plonked in front of Ajax for Antony.

Fichajes also claims Wolves attacker Pedro Neto is another possible alternative for United.

 

RONALDO URGES UNITED TO NAME THEIR PRICE
When it comes to Cristiano Ronaldo, United have maintained the same stance throughout the summer: not for sale.

Which is obviously not what the 37-year-old wants to hear since he’s seemingly desperate to get away from Old Trafford before the window closes. That was apparently made clear when Ronaldo bothered to show his face at Carrington this week, accompanied by Jorge Mendes.

The Sun says Ronaldo and Mendes urged United to set an asking price if, as is the Red Devils’ right, they aren’t willing to cut the star loose on a free.

Ronaldo wants a price tag slapped on his bonce so that he can take up ‘a live offer’ that is currently sat on Mendes’ table.

 


Ronaldo and Barcelona are starting to engender some sympathy for Man Utd


 

CITY EYE DUO IF BRIGHTON DON’T SOFTEN CUCURELLA STANCE
Across Manchester, City are waiting for Brighton to drop their asking price for Marc Cucurella. They may be waiting a while…

Fabrizio Romano reports that there is still no agreement with the two clubs, who last week were around £20million apart in their valuations of the Spain international.

Brighton are confident Cucurella won’t cause any problems if the move doesn’t materialise though the left-back’s agents are on the south coast angling for a compromise.

The Daily Mail reckons City are prepared to move on if Brighton won’t budge by targeting Benfica defender Alex Grimaldo or Stuttgart’s Borna Sosa. But they really should just cough up for Cucurella.

 

More Related Articles