Transfer gossip: Man Utd’s offer for Oblak revealed as Liverpool eye Brazilian midfielder

Date published: Thursday 15th September 2022 8:22 - Ian Watson

Jan Oblak in action for Atletico Madrid,

Manchester United are looking to replace David De Gea with a long-term target, while Liverpool are linked with a versatile midfielder from Flamengo…

 

UNITED EYE OBLAK ON A FREE
David De Gea’s reign as Manchester United’s No.1 could be set to end after 12 years with the Spaniard in the Old Trafford sticks.

The former Atletico Madrid stopper’s contract is due to expire at the end of the season and though United have the option to extend those terms for another 12 months, a report in France suggests they don’t intend to.

There have been doubts over De Gea’s suitability for Erik ten Hag and Jeunes Footeux says the United boss has his eye on Jan Oblak.

Oblak’s deal at Atletico is due to expire next summer too and though there was speculation earlier this year that the Slovenia keeper had agreed to extend until 2028, it seems the contract remains unsigned.

To tempt Oblak to Old Trafford, United are apparently willing to double his current salary to around £15.5million a year. But PSG are said to be sniffing too since they aren’t entirely convinced by Gianluigi Donnarumma.

 


North v South All-Star Game: Man City, Arsenal trios make the teams based on match ratings


 

LIVERPOOL WATCHING FLAMENGO STAR
Thursday’s midfielder du jour for Liverpool is Joao Gomes.

Borrowing Arthur from Juventus has in no way fixed Jurgen Klopp’s engine room and there are whispers over the Brazilian’s loan being cut short in January if the Reds source another midfielder.

Julio Neto, a journalist in Brazil, reckons Gomes is on Liverpool’s radar. The 21-year-old has over 100 appearances for Flamengo and this report says Klopp has been watching him ‘for a long time’. Gomes has played as a holder, a central midfielder and on the right flank, with United and Atletico also monitoring his progress.

 

CITY TO RIVAL CHELSEA FOR MILAN STAR
Chelsea are said to retain a long-standing interest in AC Milan forward Rafael Leao. Indeed, Milan technical director Paolo Maldini has revealed the Blues made a move to sign the winger this summer but their ‘informal’ offer was rejected.

Now Manchester City are being linked with Leao. Calciomercato says Pep Guardiola is keen on the reigning Serie A Player of the Year, especially while the 23-year-old resists Milan’s offer to extend his contract.

Leao has a release clause worth around £130million written into his Milan deal, which is due to expire in 2024. The Rossoneri are keen to tie down the Portugal international but renewal talks aren’t going as smoothly as they might have hoped.

More Related Articles